Here is a wonderful article by Mridula B on understanding stress;
Some eye opener stress facts which may look surprising to you but unfortunately are true:
- Statistics shows that more than 50% of the deaths in US are due to stressful lifestyle, and many other social and behavioral factors.
- In the age group of 18+years, 42.6% of U.S. adults are prone to suffer from health issues due to stress however 30% of them remain to be stressful causing severe impact on their personal as well as professional life.
- 65% of people accept that they feel pressurized at least once or more times per week that is why each year 10 million Americans see a psychiatrist.
- According to the World Health Organization, depressive disorders are considered to be the world's fourth greatest public health issue for depression had affected 340 million people across the globe whereas anxiety had affected an estimated 183 million people across the globe, the majority of who are women.
- Due to stress it may happen that your real age may rise 32 years more than your calendar age
- Every year more than $800 million are spent on "anti-anxiety pills" worldwide. Out of which 33% of the pill is consumed in U.S. only which accounts for 5% of the total world's population. This is why on the eve of New Year, 1/3 of the U.S. population makes resolution to begin with a healthy stress management program.
- Clinical depression or depressive orders is observed in 3% of the general population, 20% of terminally ill patients, and 60% of people requesting assisted suicide.
The above stress facts should be enough to raise an alarm for you. Read more here;