No matter where your travels take you this summer, leave home feeling stress free. Before you leave for vacation this summer, make sure your home is safe and ready for your return. Below is a list of tips to help you plan ahead and be prepared when it’s time to leave on vacation so that you can enjoy stress free travels!
- Suspend your newspaper and mail delivery or have a neighbor collect them for you.
- Don’t leave a message on your voice mail or post on your social network site (i.e. Facebook) that you will be out of town.
- If you have pets, plan ahead and make arrangements at the kennel or with a neighbor to take care of them.
- Turn off all the lights so you’re not wasting electricity. Although it is a good idea to have several lights set on timers to give the appearance that people are home.
- Unplug any fixtures and appliances that will not be used such as computers, chargers, TVs, etc.
- Turn the ringer volume on your phone down so someone outside can’t hear that it’s going unanswered.
- Set your air conditioning system to a higher temperature so it won’t cool your home unnecessarily. However, don’t set it so low that you’ll come home to a hot humid house. Programmable thermostats allow you to set temperatures higher while you are away, saving money in lower utility bills, and then restore temperatures to a comfortable level before you return home. Read more...